CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Making Little Strides

Throughout pregnancy, during bedrest and since the boys were born, I have gotten so used to referring to time in "weeks." Even though 4 weeks should equal one month, I guess today is really Tyler and Max's one month birthday (since they were born on February 4th). Happy One Month Birthday, boys!

Our little fighters are doing well and getting stronger every day. Yesterday was a pretty big day for Max as he was able to be held outside of his isolette for the first time! Andy is working at a client all week and can't visit during the day, so Max had some one-on-one time with his mom. He did really well and stared up at me the whole time... which is unusual because he tends to sleep most of the time. I guess he figured this was something worth opening his eyes for! Andy should be able to hold Max tonight, so we'll add some more pictures tomorrow.

Both boys have new isolettes right now, which is a step in the right direction because their old isolettes are used by the most critical babies. They will also be taken out of their beds to be weighed every night on a big scale, so that's fun. The next big step will be open-air cribs, although that probably won't happen for some time. Hopefully they will be able to share one large open-air crib, which will be so neat to have the brothers together for the first time since they were born!

Today has been a good breathing day so far and the doctor decreased both of their vapotherm pressure from 4 liters to 3. The main goal is to have them completely weaned off the vapotherm pressure and have their oxygen level decreased to room air (which is 21% oxygen). Until they completely grow out of the apnea spells and can breath consistently on their own, they will probably continue to go up and down on their vapotherm and oxygen. But 3 liters of vapotherm is the magic number for the boys to be held, so we'll take it while we can! Tyler even got to have Kangaroo Care time with mom today.

During this time in the NICU, no news is usually good news. We have been blessed without any major news since Tyler's infection and Max's PDA (which seems to be closed, knock on wood), so we continue to be thankful for each stable day. And we can't say it enough, but thank you again and again for the love and support we continue to receive every day.

Here are some pictures from Max's big day out of his isolette:

Staring up at Mom





I'm not sure who enjoyed it more (I think I know...)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOORAY for little Max!!! We knew you could do it! You have alot of people cheering you on. Just don't be giving your Mama the finger.
Love,
Grandma Linda

Anonymous said...

Hey Bridgett and Andy!

We are so glad to hear the boys are doing well!

Remember, we're right next door, so let us know if there's anything we can help you with! :)

Love-
Megan, Chris, and Gabe

Anonymous said...

Hi Max & Tyler,

My mom was a Zeta (although she says she is "old" compared to your mom) and my name is Ellie. I was born at only 25 weeks (weighed 1lb 12oz) and just turned 2! I like to think I'm perfect (my mom says she hesitates to call any 2 year old "perfect"), but I'm as close as any 2 year old could get!
I wanted to send my congrats on your 1 month birthday and let you know that it really isn't cool to have apnea - although I know all the other kids in the NICU are doing it! I did it until 2 days before my due date when I learned about peer pressure and figured out it isn't cool.
Keep up the progress and can't wait to hang out with you at IU in a few years!!!
Your Fellow Micro-Preemie Friend,
Ellie

Gretchen said...

oh hooray for Max! :)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you got to hold Max!! We have been praying so hard for both boys. I just knew Max would be right behind Tyler and you would hold him very soon!! Again we are so happy for the whole Jones family!!
Love,
Maureen and Doug

Anonymous said...

Max looks so cozy in your arms,Bridge. Do you wonder if he's thinking what was so special about that womb anyway? He's lucky he didn't have to wait any longer to see your big, beautiful smile!
He is so cute in his colorful cap. And he didn't have to flip the bird to anyone. He must be liking this!
Love,
Dad/Big Jim

faith said...

Yay for Max! Keep the pictures coming Widge, those boys are so sweet :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Tyler and Max! What a month it's been for you! What a great birthday present for Max to be held and snuggled by his mommy. We love the happy updates - keep 'em coming! Aunt Kelly

Anonymous said...

HOrray Max!!! So glad you have gotten to hold them both Bridget, can't wait to see the day you hold them at HOME! Praying for all of you!

~Julie (your POTATO friend!)

Anonymous said...

Bridget/Andy- you look so happy in the pictures- I can't even imagine how happy you FEEL!!! Its so great to hear the boys are doing good and things are moving in the right direction-only better things to come, right! Keep us posted! Lots of love to the 4 of you...Love Sara & Brian

Anonymous said...

It is now obvious that Tyler and Max BOTH got the famous Ohlyer (spelling) profile.

Yeah Max!!

Anonymous said...

oops...

LOVE,

Aunt Christie

Jenny Bo said...

Well well...I knew Max's day wasn't too far behind Tyler's. Him looking up at you is amazing - I know you loved every minute of that, Bridge. Yay for continued progress and growth! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...