CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Family Ties

It was the summer of 1965. The United States was dealing with the ugly realities of the Vietnam War, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was leading the civil rights movement, and Beatles “mania” was in full swing. All the while, two young men, fresh off their 18th birthdays, were preparing to leave home for the first time and tackle college life.

In the fall of 1965, their separate paths led them both to Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana. There, they both undoubtedly engulfed themselves with everything college life had to offer. I am sure that few parties went unattended, while classroom attendance seemed to be more of a chore. That fall, the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame also made their way to West Lafayette. Although ranked number one, the Irish actually fell to the sixth ranked Boilermakers in a 25-21 battle.

The following year brought more success for the Purdue football team. Due to a conference rule which prohibited two consecutive trips to the Rose Bowl, a second-place finish in the Big Ten won the Boilers their first trip to the “Grand-daddy of them all” in January 1967. Certain that they would make it back again in the next few years, one of our young friends passed on the chance to go see the big game. On the other hand, our other young friend did make the trip out west with a group of fraternity brothers. Fun was had by all…too much fun, I suppose. The Boilers ended up beating USC 14-13. However, despite having a piece of the goal post from that game in his basement today, our young fan has a hard time recalling the events of that day! This Rose Bowl trip turned out to be a last hurrah of sorts for him as his allegiance would soon change. The next year, he transferred to the University of Notre Dame to begin his studies in architecture. As for the other focus of our story, well, unfortunately the Boilers never did make it back to the Rose Bowl during his remaining years at Purdue. Actually, it was not until 2001, when a Drew Brees led team made it back to Pasadena. This time he was certain not to miss out. He gathered his then grown three daughters and headed west to watch the Boilers take on the University of Washington.

During their short time together at Purdue, believe it or not, the young men's paths never crossed. Aside from sharing similar experiences during those first few formative years, their lives seemingly headed in different directions in the years to come. Although they both married and spent their honeymoons in Europe, while one graduated from Notre Dame, settled in South Bend and raised four children, the other went to law school after Purdue, settled in Indianapolis and raised three lovely daughters. Little did they know that their own children would bring them together 40 years after those carefree college days.

Bridget and I met in 2001, and shortly after began to recount the similar experiences that our fathers had. Since then, our families have shared many good times together. From holidays, birthdays and countless other celebrations, we have made many special memories during our time spent together. The instant bond between our dads, rooted in their common beginnings, and now strengthened by the addition of their twin grandsons, has been a very special thing for Bridge and I to watch.

I bring all of this up, of course, because this week Purdue travels to South Bend for a showdown at Notre Dame Stadium and Big Jim is heading up to stay with Granpa and Nana for the weekend festivities. Although we would love to be there and enjoy the weekend with everyone else, we know how lucky we are to have families who enjoy each other so much. Given the backgrounds of both of their grandfathers, this game will undoubtedly mean something special to Max and Tyler in the years to come. However, I have only one thing to say….GO IRISH!


Granpa Sam and Big Jim at their joint surprise 60th birthday party. One of the many fun times our families have shared.

Tyler (ND) and Max (PU) showing support for both of their grandpas' teams


No matter what the outcome of the game is, we'll all still be friends

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to start the week this Monday morning!!! Life sure has unexpected treasures and your words, Andy, was one of the best yet! How fun to read your beautiful, and keenly accurate, summation of memories of days enjoyed. Those ND-PU football games were some of the finest athletic competitions I have had the pleasure to watch.
I just love the photos of Max & Tyler dressed for the big game next Saturday. And the outcome is not that significant compared to the bond that we have with the amazing Jones' family. I am eternally grateful that you and Bridget found each other and brought us together.
So I can't wait to be with Sam and Linda Jones so we can laugh and hug and share stories and talk about our favorite people and root for a few hours for opposite teams before we get back to loving and living life.
All in all though I must say for the record......Go Purdue!!
Thank you, Andy!!!
Love,
Big Jim

Nan said...

Great post, Andy - keep writing! And as much as I love Jimbo, I have to second your "Go Irish"!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tribute Andy.Who said CPA guys couldn't write well?
Two great guys produced first class kids and the first class kids created the amazing twins, what an ironic creation.
Thanks for the BLOG entry. Just wonderful.
Love to all.
Mac
PS-I'm pleading neutral on the game

Anonymous said...

Nana just called and told me to pull up the blog. Of course, I cried (that's the first time in my life). It appears Sat will be sunny and around 78 degrees. What a great day to be outside with friends and family. Can't wait to have M&T come to their first tailgate--be it here or in W. Lafayette. G-pa Sam

Anonymous said...

Fascinating to discover that I arrived in the US on such an historic year...then married MAC man 30 yrs later...thus becoming a part of a wonderful story and extended families.
God Bless you all. Great pics.
Nuala

sara said...

GREAT post, Andy! Loved it :)

Unknown said...

So cool that your boys have such hip grandpas. :)

And I love love love the smiling pictures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...